Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Songs, Hymns & Music for Lent 2C (21 February 2016)

Update: Thank you everyone who donated to my fundraising campaign. We reached the target for the minimum rebuild of the site, and Claudine has already started work. It will take some weeks before you will see changes, but please be assured - they are happening! I am very grateful for everyone's support - it's good to see the end of the tunnel of endless manual updates. If you wanted to donate but ran out of time, it's still possible through direct contributions to my PayPal account. All money raised will always go directly into the site. Thanks again, Natalie

Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18  
God makes a covenant with the childless Abram; God’s faithfulness
  • SiS414 / ATA 153 / GtG059 / Srce686 / PfAS105B The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases (McNeill) Can be a mushy favourite, and the language is not inclusive in older versions; PfAS uses “God’s mercy never comes to an end”. PfAS uses it as a sung response to a Psalm. Older style lyrics & chords. Oldy-but-a-goody.
  • Iona (LFB) / G(II)503 / GC701 / RS818 / StF464 God It Was who said to Abraham (Bell) Easy tune. Good story words. Note that God is masculine; I think this has been addressed  in more recent editions of Love From Below. Lyrics and sheet music. Slow sound sample.
  • GtG042 / PH251 Your Faithfulness O Lord Is Sure (Patterson) Very simple paraphrase of this Psalm, sung to the familiar traditional tune WINCHESTER NEW. This is a paraphrase of Psalm 145 that fits very well for this passage. New words to old tunes
  • *AoV1-137 / ATOK 403 / GA306 / G(II)286 God Of Abraham lead us (Farrell) I love this energetic call and response with the response "Lead us to your kingdom". Don't try to sing all 17 verses! Choose what you like... You can sing with a cantor and response, or you could split your congregation in the middle doing half and half, or you could just have people singing all the way through. Lyrics (downloads a pdf). Good for kids.    
  • NCYC09 Stories of faith calling us to explore / Stories of Hope (Hanks / Newton) Not easy, but the words are great. Best to get someone to sing it - perhaps during the offering?
  • *Unknown source Nothing is impossible with God (Unknown) I found this ridiculously happy song, and I think you only need to change one word to make it one I would like. I think our kids would just really love this..... Anyone know where it's from? Youtube of some ridiculously happy and wholesome kids singing it. Good for kids
Psalm 27 
God is our strength in times of trouble; longing for God
  • BUC Song Project Searching alone / Safe (Potter & Potter) This is a lovely simple and reassuring song. BUC only so far...
  • *TiS 16 / AoV2-073 / GA028 / Sing Allelulia 28 Do not be afraid I am with you (Willcock) Excellent cantor and refrain. Refrain would work well with a reader also. GA has a nice descant line. 
  • URW252 Find us, searching God, wherever we hide (Peacock) A beautiful prayer based on the Psalm. No music. Maybe you could write some.
  • *TiS 611 / AHB 543 / NCH436 / UMH577 / VU686 / LBW415 / ELW705 / A&M648 / HPP456 / PH420 / GtG307 / CP577 / CP(E) 448 / W&R569 / Cha464 / 82Hml-594 / StF682 / MP192 God of Grace and God of Glory (Fosdick) A song about being courageous and wise. There are many possible tunes and many sets of words to this hymn. NCH has the most inclusive words, but TiS and AHB are okay too. They don’t hold back in verse 3. Chorus: “Grant us wisdom, Grant us courage, for the facing of this hour”. Don’t know about everyone else, but I know best the tune AHB 543 (ii). One version of the lyrics. New words to old tunes  
  • *MV217 Hey ney yana (Eagle) This Native American song could be great, sung accompanied with just a drum "I walk in beauty, yes I do, yes I do". Sounds nice on flute too, I think. Good for kids. Lyrics and information.
  • ATE 212 Hush now for I am your God (Littlemore) 
  • G(II)406 / GC482 I Need You to Listen (Haugen/Sullivan) A simple and very beautiful Psalm and response. The words to this are very lovely. Lead sheet. Sound sample.
  • *CH573 / UMH523 / GtG789 / StB059 Jesus Savior Lord lo to thee I fly / Saranam Saranam (Sri Lankan) I think this would be an excellent song to sing, not only because the words are good and because the tune is simple and beautiful, but because we need to keep praying for the people of Sri Lanka. 
  • *MV175 May we but wait (Petricko) Beautiful and simple two line song. Would be good as a response to the Intercessions. 
  • AoV1-139 O God Nothing Can Take Us from your love (Walker) Good refrain. Good verses. Cantor and congregational response. Sound sample. 
  • *Worldmaking.net Open unto me light for my darkness (Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan). Good for a more contemplative service. Sound sample and lyrics.
  • *Taizé / TiS 747 / ATE 214 / Iona (M&G) / GtG842 / PfAS027A / URW393 The Lord is my light, my light and salvation A simple and very popular Taizé chant. Note that this is really easy on recorder if you have a kid in your congregation who is learning it. Good for kids. Youtube.    
  • *Taizé / CH276 / VU22 / GtG090 / ELW262 / GA283 / A&M053 / G(II)256 / GC332 / GC(II)340 / G(3)406 / CP094 / W&R166 / PfAS037B / SP28 / URW396 / Lau088 Wait for the Lord (Berthier) Wait for the Lord whose day is near, wait for the lord, keep watch, take heart. A lovely simple Taize chant. Sheet music, translations and sound samples. 
  • *AoVNG71 / Taize / G(3)682 I am Sure I Shall See (Taize) One of the more upbeat Taize chants. Sheet music, translations and sound samples. 
  • *Iona (M&G, T1AU) / MV099 / GC(II)673 / G(3)763 / Lau996 Stand O Stand Firm (Cameroon) I love having an excuse to sing this simple and powerful song. Very easy for your congregation. You can make up cantor parts too “Oh my sisters…. Oh my brothers… Oh my children….” or you can name countries you are praying for in your intercessions. Good for kids. Scottish sound sample. Lead sheet. 
  • Psalm Project (Sharing the Road) / SP&P140 All of My Life (Bruxvoort Colligan) Lovely chant-like verses and chorus. I think this would be good to do. Available here.
  • VU753 / AA117 / A&M773 / SP306 Safe in the hands of God / Safe in your hands O God (Perry) Good paraphrase of the Psalm. Tune will need to be played through at least once before the congregation join in.   
  • VU754 God is my light and saving health (Clarke) Quite straightforward psalm response and responsive psalm.
  • PfAS027E My God is my light (Howard) A nice and very simple Psalm refrain.
  • *ATFG563 / NCYC'03 / The Red Book How long must we cry out? (Mann) This is a big Brunswick favourite, great for young people in particular. BUC liturgists please note that we have not sung this since 2010! "Teach me to do what is right, walk in the darkness, trust in the light and may love be the path I walk upon". Good for teenagers.
  • *TiS 547 / AHB 455 / AoV1-009 / NCH451 / CH465 / A&M595 / UMH451 / VU642 / WoV776 / ELW793 / HPP353 / GtG450 / PH339 / CP505 / CP(E) 386 / W&R502 / Cha595 / Srce70 / URW180 / 82Hml-488 / Lau970 / StF545 / MP051  Be thou my vision O Lord of my heart (8th century Irish) Most recent hymnals are fairly inclusive for this. Note that the High King phrase has been changed in some hymnals because it is masculine, but the hymn is based on an ancient story of St. Patrick refusing to follow the High King Logaire, and choosing instead the "High King of Heaven". Lyrics, tune and a little of the story. Oldy-but-a-goody.
Philippians 3:17-4:1 
I think this says that greed is not good, and we should have our mind on higher things
  • *Iona (M&G, T1AU) / MV099 / GC(II)673 / G(3)763 / Lau996 Stand O Stand Firm (Cameroon) I love having an excuse to sing this simple and powerful song. Very easy for your congregation. You can make up cantor parts too “Oh my sisters…. Oh my brothers… Oh my children….” or you can name countries you are praying for in your intercessions. Good for kids. Scottish sound sample. Lead sheet.
  • *TiS 547 / AHB 455 / AoV1-009 / NCH451 / CH465 / A&M595 / UMH451 / VU642 / WoV776 / ELW793 / HPP353 / GtG450 / PH339 / CP505 / CP(E) 386 / W&R502 / Cha595 / Srce70 / URW180 / 82Hml-488 / Lau970 / StF545 / MP051  Be thou my vision O Lord of my heart (8th century Irish) Most recent hymnals are fairly inclusive for this. Note that the High King phrase has been changed in some hymnals because it is masculine, but the hymn is based on an ancient story of St. Patrick refusing to follow the High King Logaire, and choosing instead the "High King of Heaven". Lyrics, tune and a little of the story. Oldy-but-a-goody. 
  • UMH438 / VU416 / A&M476 / CP467 / CP(E) 430 / W&R718 / StF550 / Lau861 / MP159 Forth in thy name O Lord I go (Wesley) Timeless words about committing all our works to God. I like this hymn best played lightly and joyfully with a simple drum beat as a kind of minstrel tune, rather than a hymn. The old fashioned words seem to make a lot more sense to me that way. Some hymnals (including TiS) have sensitively modernised the words. Here's an older version with the slow organ. Yeah, the slow organ is nice too, I suppose, but I really like it about twice that speed... Oldy-but-a-goody.
  • *NCH497 / SFFS 2208 / GtG741 / PH354 / G(II)508 / GC707 / GC(II)684 G(3)780 / CP513 / ZSS141 Guide my feet while I run this race An excellent civil rights song. Would work well as a meditative prayer for guidance or as an uplifting call to action at the end of the service.You could also make up your own lyrics. Lyrics. Good for kids.   
  • *ATA 200 / CH530 / VU639 / A&M757 / CP(E) 548 / URW109 / StF476 One more step along the world I go (Carter) A good fun kid's song from Sydney Carter which many of their parents will remember. "And it's from the old I travel to the new, keep me travelling along with you". Lyrics and a really slow and clunky sound sample. Good for kids.

Luke 13:31-35 
Christ laments a city who has turned her back on her people; he long to comfort them and predicts that he will go, to return as the one who comes in the name of the Lord
  • *Tune In: Our God who weeps (Kate Scull) Very simple folk-like tune and challenging and hopeful lyrics. Reference recording, lyrics and songbook. 
  • Online Resource Blessed is the One (Harding) A good song, which will need to be taught at first, or might be nice to sing to the congregation by the musicians. Sound sample, sheet music available.
  • *VU270 Dear Mother God your wings are warm (Wootton) Good images of God as mother, and a call for us to also embrace the needy; the tune is not known and will need to be taught. Could also be sung to PERFECT LOVE, I think. New words to old tunes  
  • MV214 May God's sheltering wings (Snowdon) A nice simple blessing and benediction, which may be sung about a feminine or a masculine God. 
  • FFS09 Christ of the sad face (Murray/Gibson) Christ weeps for the city, the earth. A longing for peace. Lyrics and an alternative tune 
  • ELW341 / SFFS 2187 / G(II)549 / GC759 / GC(II)752 / G(3)857 / W&R627 / Cha471 / Lau675 Now it is evening / At evening (Pratt Green) A song of justice and caring for others who are lonely, hungry in the city. The set tune is really good and simple, but it can also be sung to BUNESSAN. Mostly makes sense for evening services only, but maybe it could work in the morning…? Lead sheet. Sound sample. New words to old tunes
  • VU584 Through the heart of every city (Dunstan) Challenging words about caring for all God's people, particularly in the city. Tune is a quite straight forward hymn tune. 
  • *MV091 Cradle me in your arms (Harding) A simple assuring chant in times of suffering. Sound sample. Sheet music sample. Purchase online. 
  • *MV126 Are you a shepherd? (Duck) Good and joyous. Lots of images of God: shepherd, teacher, mother, father. A catchy chorus. Good for kids. 
  • Taizé / GtG814 / CP563 / PfAS062D In God alone my soul can find rest and peace / Mon ame se repose (Berthier) A beautiful healing chant from Taize. Words and music and sound samples for learning the parts  Good for kids.
  • Tune In: The God that I know. A ballad drawing on God’s strength and comfort; not easy if unfamiliar. Lyrics and sample available here.
Alternate Gospel Reading Luke 9:28-36, (37-43a)
Transfiguration story
  • ATFG555 / NCYC03 Open your eyes / See Yourself (Mann) “see yourself in the one who’s shining on the hill”. Puts the transfiguration in the context of a whole lot of other New Testament stories. Excellent newer song; verses are a little tricky. Good for kids 
  • *TiS474 / AoV1-012 / ATE 295 / CH623 / SFFS 2236 / HPP553 / A&M363 / GtG401 / G(II)539 / GC839 / GC(II)743 / G(3)848  / CP465 / W&R649 / Cha284 / SP175 / URW054 / Lau475 Here in this place new light is streaming / Gather us in (Haugen). Excellent words, very well known. “Nourish us well and teach us to fashion lives that are holy and hearts that are true”. Lyrics and sheet music samples.  
  • SFFS 2153 / GC(II)770 / G(3)878 / Cha182 Transform Us as you transfigured (Dunstan) Good words to the familiar and quite meditative hymn tune PICARDY (TiS 497). Lyrics and sign language. New words to old tunes
  • *NCH182 / VU104 / SFFS 2103 / HPP147 / GtG191 / CP166 / W&R245 We have come at Christ's own bidding (Daw Jr) Excellent lyrics that bring the images of the transfiguration to the faith of today. Sung to the familiar and very lovely tune HYFRYDOL (TiS 517). Lyrics. Tune sample. New words to old tunes
  • *ATFG 541 What is this scene? (Froemming / Newton) A good story telling song. Not too difficult for the congregation to sing on a first attempt, but it will need a brief “teaching time” for the melody. You could also ask the musicians to present as part of the offering. The words are great.  
  • *Bruce Harding Seeing Jesus A simple chant, needs at least 2 of the parts. Sample PDF, and available for purchase here.
  • *CH355 / VU210 / HPP81 / GtG274 / GC(II)525 / G(3)628 / CP630 / W&R99 / URW098 You Lord Are Both Lamb and Shepherd (Dunstan) Beautiful words. Can be sung to many tunes. I like it to PICARDY or WESTMINSTER ABBEY. Sound sample, lyrics and sheet music sample here.
  • NCH183 / GtG193 Jesus take us to the mountain (Vajda) A very positive transfiguration hymn that asks good questions and provides some good challenges and clearly looks onward to Good Friday. Lyrics. 
  • *TiS 268 / AHB 224 / AoV1-170 / NCH132 / CH320 / UMH246 / VU59 / LBW039 / ELW267 / GA295 / HPP107 / PH040 / GtG134 / GC343 / GC(II)353 / G(3)437 / CP154 / CP(E) 57 / W&R179 / Cha143 / Srce399 / 82Hml-100 / Lau156 / StF330 / MP393 Joy to the world The Lord is come (Watts) So, this was not actually written as a Christmas carol (read the lyrics: no baby Jesus), and I think it would work well for Christ the King Sunday and Transfiguration, so maybe it's worth a go!  Oldy-but-a-goody.
  • TiS 234 / AHB 390 / A&M281 / GC778 / GC(II)771 / G(3)877 / CP167 / CP(E)248 / VU103 / LBW89 / ELW315 / Lau209 How good Lord to be here / Tis Good Lord to Be Here (Robinson / SWABIA) Good solid words and a good solid tune (I like CARSLISLE best). I like the ending “But since you bid us leave the mount, come with us to the plain”. We sang this last year at BUC. Oldy-but-a-goody.
  • *NCYC07 You shine (Crawford) A good song, with an excellent chorus "You shine over us, you shine through us, so let your light shine on around the world". Definitely for the more youthful congregation. It would also work to play the CD from NCYC07 if you don't have a band of musicians. Good for teenagers. 
  • *AoV2-103 / AoVK-115 / G(II)514 / GC712 / GC(II)715 Holy Ground (Pena) I love the energy and passion in this song and the vision of the heavens embracing the earth. I especially like the “Do you believe in freedom? Yes we do Lord! Do you believe in justice? Justice for all!” call in the middle. Bilingual English/Spanish song. Good for kids. Sound and sheet music samples.
  • TiS 255 / CH135 / VU434 / CP018 O laughing Light O first-born of creation (Dunstan) A slightly more modern version of the Phos Hilaron. Words are good but the tune in TiS (ADRIAN) is a little tricky.   
  • ATW 447 Thank you Jesus for ordinary miracles (Mann) Fun and joyful. "Up in a cloud in the air"! Lyrics. Good for kids. 
  • Srce63 Can I ascend? / I'm Coming Up The Mountain (Redman) A bit "me me me" for my liking, but the youth in some congregations would probably like it, and I maybe shouldn't find these songs as embarrassing as I do. Lyrics and chords 
  • *Recorded Song: Little Lights (Punch Brothers) This track from a recent Punch Brothers album sings of the desire of remaining in a transcendent place, but needing to return to reality - it made me think of the transfiguration, even though it's not written about it... I particularly like the line "guide us back to where we are from where we wanna be"... Lyrics. Sound.  
  • *Recorded Song: Transfiguration (Sufjan Stevens) I love this song. Lyrics. Here’s a video of him performing it live here on youtube, which is a bit more eclectic than the studio recording. Note: if playing recorded songs in worship, it's a really good idea to provide lyrics to the congregation either in a handout or using projection. 
  • Liturgy for the Whole Church (p69) The transfiguration (Bock) A narrated skit. If you have this book, or access to it, this would be good to do.
  • Lau215 / Online Resource Transfigure us O Lord (Hurd) Really excellent words. Maybe better for a soloist. Thanks to the anonymous reader who suggested this. Sound sample & purchase options. Lyrics
  • Online Resource Transfigure me (Grundy) I particularly like the chorus of this, that could be used as a sung response. The verses are also good. Youtube recording (rough, but gives you an idea). Sheet music. Free Bulletin Insert
Got any ideas of your own for any of these readings? Please add them in the comments below! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a number of good hymns and songs Natalie. Thank you very much indeed. I often look at your site. A great help for preparation of services. God bless you.

Margaret Garland said...

Hi Natalie

For Psalm 27 there is a hymn called 'Saviour I heard your voice gently say' and it is in New Zealand Praise - a NZ hymnbook.
Words are beautiful - contemplative tune. Can be heard here: http://www.radionz.co.nz/concert/programmes/hymns/20150816

Words and Music: David Burt, NZP, B11

Saviour, I heard your voice gently say:
Seek you my face, come walk child with me;
Lord Jesus Christ, your face will I seek,
my heart replies in worship to you.

Hear, O my God, when I call with my voice,
have mercy upon me and answer my cry.
In your sweet presence my heart will rejoice
to your tender call my heart will reply.

Hide not your face far from me, O God,
and turn not your servant in anger away.
My constant help have you been till today
so do not forsake me or leave me, O God.

In your great mercy, teach me your way
and out of your paths let me never depart.
Wait on our God, be of courage, I say,
and God's loving-kindness will strengthen your heart.

Margaret Garland Dunedin NZ