Isaiah 49:1-7Psalm 40:1-11
God’s knowledge of Isaiah from before birth. Isaiah’s sense of calling.
God’s knowledge of Isaiah from before birth. Isaiah’s sense of calling.
- Recorded music You are the light of the world (Pino) This is a lovely catchy refrain, which we have sung once before; if you have the CD you could play it. If not, and you have a clever musician, they could work out the chords (we did!). It's not directly based on this reading but I think it would be great. Here's one version. Good for kids (if you sing it) .
- Online resource Let me be your light to the nations (Grundy) A simple refrain, that would work well, particularly if you are reflecting on gun-related violence or war. Sound sample and link to free sheet music.
- Taizé / TiS 747 / ATE 214 / Iona (M&G) / GtG842 / PfAS027A / URW393 The Lord is my light, my light and salvation A simple and very popular Taize chant. Note that this is really easy on recorder if you have a kid in your congregation who is learning it. Good for kids. Youtube.
- TiS 417 / AoV2-133 / ATW 448 / VU387 / StJ / WoV683 / ELW397 / AA94 / HPP237 / GtG293 / PH323 / CP657 / W&R135 / Cha244 / URW203 / StB220 Loving Spirit, Loving Spirit (Murray). There are about a zillion tunes set for this. I prefer FELICITY (by Colin Gibson TiS 417), but also like RESTORATION and OMNI DIE. Lyrics New words to old tunes (depending which tune you choose)
- ATOK 320 / NCH351 / VU645 / StJ / WoV770 / ELW732 / SFFS 2051 / GtG488 / HPP516 / W&R680 / Cha075 I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry. (Ylvisaker) A song of God’s presence in all stages of life. Very simple tune to sing. This always makes me think of Center Church on-the-Green in New Haven, CT. Lyrics, and a nice (slow) sound sample.
- *Worldmaking.net God of My Breathing (Bruxvoort-Colligan). Excellent words to a well-known hymn tune (BUNESSAN). Sample and lyrics. New words to old tunes.
- AoV2-031 / ATW 424 / CH97 / A&M747 / GtG029 / GC(II)509 / SP301 / StF728 / Lau779 O God, you search me and you know me (Farrell). My favourite version of Psalm 139, which fits this reading too. The tune flows effortlessly and it has a nice little hook at the end of each verse. Sample music and lyrics here.
God hears and helps.
- Tune In: God’s Mercy (Anderson) A beautiful ballad about recognising God's mercy in the everyday. Lyrics, sound sample, songbook.
- Emergent Psalter You are my help and my rescuer (Everett) A simple and lovely Psalm refrain to Psalm 40. Sample sheet music. You can also alternate between these two refrains as described in the book.
- Recorded Music 40 (U2) This classic song from U2 is based on Psalm 40 and would be good to include in a worship service. Thanks to Peter Champion for this suggestion. Youtube.
- *Iona (Common Ground, Ps PPP) / CH31 / GtG651 / PfAS040B / URW266 I waited patiently for God (Bell) Surprisingly positive for such a gloomy Psalm (Psalm 40). Lyrics. Can be sung to NEW BRITAIN / AMAZING GRACE as well, but can also be sung to the William Billings tune LEWIS-TOWN. New words to old tunes.
- *Iona (M&G) / CH267 / StB264 Blest be God blest be God for ever (Martinez / DANDASOY) Beautiful words to a beautiful, but tricky Philippino melody (unless you have a Philippino congregation, in which case it's just a familiar folk tune). This would be great to ask a small group to sing if you have some good singers in your congregation. Works especially nicely with a guitar.
- Cha740a God your mercy is upon us as we place our trust in you Responsive psalm with joyous sung refrain to a familiar hymn tune.
SP&P155 O God please rescue me (Salvaggione) An upbeat paraphrase of Psalm 40.
- TiS 560 / AHB 465 / NCH408 / CH192 / UMH132 / VU654/655 / WoV782 / ELW757 / A&M584 / CP529 / CP(E) 368 / Cha088 / Srce2-15 / 82Hml-665 / Lau959 / StF455 / MP016 All my hope on God is founded / is firmly grounded (Neander) Most translations of this well known German hymn are not inclusive, but the NCH and WoV are, so if you have those books (BUC people, we have NCH and WoV). Older version of the lyrics. Oldy-but-a-goody.
- GA445 / G(II)421 / GC597 / GC(II)581 / G(3)676 I Say "Yes," Lord / Digo "Sí," Señor (Pena) A simple song which speaks of sticking with God through good times and bad. Lyrics and sample sheet music. Sound sample.
- Taizé / TiS 741 / AoV1-017 / ATE 282 / LBW368 / ELW407 / GA431 / SFFS 2200 / GtG471 / G(II)410 / GC586 / GC(II)566 / G(3)666 / W&R484 / Srce519 / URW390 / Lau929 / PfAS013A / PfAS102A / MP908 O Lord hear my prayer (Berthier) A simple and very well known Taizé chant. Works well during intercessions. You could read the Psalm between repeats of this chant, or just use as a chant as is. Sheet music samples. Good for kids
- *CH573 / UMH523 / GtG789 / StB059 Jesus Savior Lord lo to thee I fly / Saranam Saranam (Sri Lankan) I think this would be an excellent song to sing, not only because the words are good and because the tune is simple and beautiful, but because we need to keep praying for the people of Sri Lanka.
- Chalice Praise 9 New Song (Number 40) (Moran & Elson) This song is a versatile arrangement of this Psalm. With call-and-response verses and a simple refrain, I think this would be a big hit in many congregations. Thanks to Laura Kittrell for this suggestion. Sound sample (scroll down) - while this recording has a quite distinct pop-country music style, this is not the only way the song could be used - arrange it to suit your congregation (e.g. I think our congregation would cringe at the "La la la la la yeah" final chorus, but others might just love it)
- CH541 Lord I pray if today (Keegstra-DeBoer) Very simple words, quite childlike, but memorable.
- TiS 23 O Lord do not withold your mercy (Saliers) A really lovely and simple refrain.
- ATW 480 On the day I called (Farrell) A simple song.
- Taizé / CH276 / VU22 / GtG090 / ELW262 / GA283 / A&M053 / G(II)256 / GC332 / GC(II)340 / G(3)406 / CP094 / W&R166 / PfAS037B / SP28 / URW396 / Lau088 Wait for the Lord (Berthier) Wait for the Lord whose day is near, wait for the Lord, keep watch, take heart. A lovely simple Taize chant; some sources have cantor lines, and some older sources are not inclusive. Sheet music, translations and sound samples.
- TiS 754 / SFFS 2055 / HPP457 / Cha554 / PfAS032B / Srce2-686 / MP793 You are my hiding-place (Ledner) Very mushy, but somehow very satisfying and soothing. Particularly mushy sound sample and lyrics. Good for kids.
- NCH565 / LBW408 / ELW678 / GtG716 / PH422 / CP601 / W&R572 / Cha606 / URW091 God whose giving knows no ending (Edwards) Excellent more formal words of thanks for God's many good gifts to us. Can be sung to a range of tunes including BEACH SPRING, HYFRYDOL, AUSTRIAN HYMN, RUSTINGTON. Lyrics. New words to old tunes.
Words of greeting. Not lacking in spiritual gifts as you wait for Christ.
- AoVK-28 / ATOK 376 Faith hope and love (Watts) This is so easy, and so cool. If you have some groovy musicians, this can even be a very funky rock song. Very easy, and great for kids and non-readers.
- ATFG514 Emmanuel Carol / God of light we are waiting for you (Berberick) This is a lovely song; you will need to teach it, but once it's known, it's pretty easy. Fast sound sample. Lyrics (search for "God of light"). If you sang this during Advent, this may be a good opportunity to repeat it.
- AoVK-58 We wait in hope for the Lord (Ford) Simple acapella round "We wait in hope for the Lord, God is our help and our shield. And so our hearts rejoice, for we trust in God's holy name"
- Tune In: Come O God and visit us sick we pray / Your abundant life (Brown) A joyful song "Lead us into your abundant life". Lyrics and sound sample.
Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. The dove’s descent at Christ’s baptism. Simon, Peter and Andrew follow Jesus.See also suggestions from Baptism of Christ (last week).
- TiS 545 / Iona (LFB) / CH676 / VU482 / StF598 Shout for joy! The Lord has let us feast (Bell) Particularly appropriate if you are celebrating communion. Energetic and quite simple to sing. Lyrics
- TiS 242 / AHB 183 / AoV1-018 / ATN 27 / CH404 / UMH261 / VU352 / A&M667 / HPP163 / GtG157 / PH302 / G(II)481 / GC708 / GC(II)689 / G(3)796 / CP(E) 468 / W&R118 / Lau765 / StF247 I danced in the morning / Lord of the Dance (Carter / SIMPLE GIFTS). Lyrics and tune sample. “I danced to the fishermen, to James and John….”.You all know this one, right? Good for kids Oldy-but-a-goody.
- TiS 419 / NCH270 / CH592 / A&M252 / UMH544 / VU205 / WoV685 / ELW403 / HPP222 / GtG285 / PH314 / CP635 / CP(E) 185 / W&R327 / SP92 / 82Hml-513 / StF389 Like the murmur of the dove's song (Daw) Excellent words and a simple tune about Christian unity. Each verse ends with "Come holy spirit, come". Lyrics and organ sample.
- TiS 210 / AHB 141 / NCH042 / CH352 / UMH57 / VU326 / LBW42 / ELW295 / A&M742 / HPP74 / GtG610 / PH466 / CP306 / CP(E) 534 / W&R96 / Cha005 / Srce506 / 82Hml-493 / StF364 / MP496 O for a thousand tongues to sing (Wesley) A classic. I particularly love NATIVITY for these words, and it's such a fun tune. Be careful with the words "ye dumb". Voices United has "Hear him you deaf, you voiceless ones, your tongues again employ" which is more respectful. Lyrics and one possible tune. Oldy-but-a-goody.
- ATOK 348 / Iona (HSNW) / G(II)496 / GC692 / GC(II)697 / StF462 Come with me / Sing hey for the carpenter (Iona) Excellent. I love this one. Very joyous, and a big favourite in our congregation. Lyrics. Good for kids.
- ATOK 413 / Iona (HSNW) / CH533 / VU567 / StS039 / A&M510 / ELW798 / GA502 / SFFS 2130 / HPP317 / GtG726 / G(II)510 / GC700 / GC(II)687 / G(3)790 / CP430 / CP(E) 622 / W&R350 / URW060 / Lau877 / StF673 Will you come and follow me / The Summons (Iona / KELVINGROVE) A classic. Don't sing it too slowly or it really drags and takes forever!
- ATOK 412 / Iona (SBL, Common Ground) / CH250 / MV212 / A&M482 / GtG747 / SFFS 2184 / Lau855 / StF239 Sent by the Lord am I / Sent out in Jesus name / Enviado soy de Dios
(Traditional Cuban) Great rhythm, good words and not too hard to sing
(provided you sing it a little slowly the first time!) I prefer the MV
translation "Sent out in Jesus' name". Good for kids. Lyrics.
- NCH357 / CH680 / G(II)487 / GC680 / GC(II)675 / G(3)774 / Lau425 You are called to tell the story (Duck) Excellent words. The simplest tune would be REGENT SQUARE. Different sources use a range of tunes. New words to old tunes.
- Tune in: We are the dream that's longing / Jesus is waiting. An honest catchy rock song about our hesitation to follow and Jesus not only waiting, but continuing to work and change the world. A good sending-out song. Sound sample, lyrics and songbook available here.
- TiS 589 / AHB 505 / NCH171 / CH509 / UMH398 / VU562 / LBW494 / ELW696 / HPP314 / CP432 / CP(E) 233 / W&R345 / Cha337 / 82Hml-550 Jesus calls us; o'er the tumult (Alexander) Great words. TiS sets it to ST CATHERINE, but it could be sung to other tunes (like STUTTGART) if this is not familiar to your congregation (it’s not hard though). New words to old tunes.
- *Worldmaking.net O Christ, Lamb of God (Bruxvoort-Colligan) A more modern Agnus Dei, with Christ sharing our weakness. Lyrics and sound sample.
- *ATAR657 Jesus, lamb of God (Mann) A nice new Agnus Dei. Quite simple to sing.
- *ATAR648 Lamb of God you take away the sin of the world (Keil) A simple and quite lovely extended Agnus Dei, with extra verses of Morning Star, God with Us, Prince of Peace…
- *AoV1-196 / GC171 / GC(II)152 / RS 329 Jesus, Lamb of God (Agnus Dei) from Haugen’s Mass of Creation. One of my favourites, I think. Sound sample and lyrics.
- GC213 / GC(II)319 / RS 469 / URW414 Jesus Lamb of God from Joncas’ Psallite Mass. Sheet music sample.
- *GtG603 Lamb of God (Vasile) This is really nice; will need to be taught. A bit jazz-like. Sheet music preview.
- GtG604 Lamb of God (Farlee) A nice simple Agnus Dei
- Iona / SP228 / URW413 Lamb of God you take away the sin of the world (Bell) A simple overlapping cantor and response. It will need to be taught, but it will not take long for people to pick it up. ST BRIDE
- *TiS 705 / Iona (Common Ground, EoA) / W&R282 / SP320 / StF234 / Lau610 Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin (Bell) A simple Agnus Dei. Best if you can manage to get all four parts involved.
- *Sing Alleluia / Fresh Sounds 041 Jesus Lamb of God (Pulkingham) This is one of my absolute favourite Agnus Deis (what's the plural of Agnus Dei?). A little bit of the tune. Good for kids.
- GC(II)174 Jesus Lamb of God (Agnus Dei) (Proulx) A simple chant. Cantor and response.
- AHB 448 Holy most holy Lamb of God (Niles) Funky Philippino tune. Yeah, something groovy in the AHB!
- *Music by Heart 06 Lamb of God (McClellan) A simple, and quite lovely call and response. This would be very easy to sing even if new, provided you have a good song leader. Good for kids.
- CH778 Lamb of God you take away (Gustafsson) A very simple Agnus dei. Easy to sing.
- G(3)238 / Lau590 Lamb of God (Storrington) (Haugen)
- Lau1011 Lamb of God (Belmont) (Walker) A very simple and beautiful meditative Agnus Dei. Sound sample
- *GC(II)318 / G(3)392 O Lamb Of God (Batastini) Quite lovely and soothing call-and-response Agnus Dei. Sound sample. Lead sheet.
- STB129 Lamb of God (Wu) An unusual Agnus Dei set to a Taiwanese tune. Will need to be taught
- WoV621 Lamb of God you take away the sin of the world (Haugen) A canon. In 3/4. Seems quite nice and simple.
- Iona (T1AU) / CH790 O Lamb of God (Bell) Nice; will need to be taught before you use it.
- The word became a song Jesus Lamb of God (Mann) Quite simple. Good for communion.
- Recorded music Agnus Dei There are very very many classical versions of the Agnus Dei. It might be nice to play a recording while communion is distributed, or while people light candles for their prayers. Some favourites: Agnus Dei set to Samuel Barber's Adagio; I also like Palestrina. And Dunstable.