Update: Thank you everyone who donated to my fundraising campaign. We reached the target for the minimum rebuild of the site, and Claudine has already started work. It will take some weeks before you will see changes, but please be assured - they are happening! I am very grateful for everyone's support - it's good to see the end of the tunnel of endless manual updates. If you wanted to donate but ran out of time, it's still possible through direct contributions to my PayPal account. All money raised will always go directly into the site. Thanks again, Natalie
God’s knowledge of us before birth; Being called – having confidence; God is asking a big thing.
- TiS 679 / Online God of Jeremiah grieving (Wren) If you are going to focus on Jeremiah for the next few weeks, this would be a good hymn to learn. The traditional Scottish tune KELVIN GROVE is well known as the tune for "The Summons". Lyrics and free sheet music PDF.
- *CH145 God made me as I am (Farrell) A lovely little song. "God made me as I am, part of creation's plan. No-one else can ever be the part of God's plan that's me". Youtube and sign language. Good for kids.
- VU862 / GtG028 / PH248 / PfAS139D You are before me, Lord, you are behind (Pitt-Wilson) Excellent words, set either to the chant-like tune SURSUM CORDA or the Scottish tune HIGHLAND CATHEDRAL. The words are directly from the Psalm and are very beautiful. Lyrics. New words to old tunes.
- *AoV2-031 / ATW 424 / CH97 / A&M747 / GtG029 / GC(II)509 / SP301 / StF728 / Lau779 O God, you search me and you know me (Farrell). My favourite version of this Psalm. The tune flows effortlessly and it has a nice little hook at the end of each verse. Sample music and lyrics here.
- *TiS 749 / AoV1-154 / AoVK-131 / ATE 305 / NCH360 / Iona (SBL, Freedom is coming) / CH800 / UMH497 / VU572 / WoV773 / ELW809 / GA493 / A&M481 / HPP340 / GtG746 / G(II)484 / GC677 / GC(II)674 / G(3)776 / W&R713 / Cha447 / SP234 / StF782 Send me Jesus / Thuma mina (South African) You all know this one, right? If you don't - it's great - simple, repetitive, and meaningful. Good for kids. Sheet music sample and lyrics. Youtube
- *AoV1-021 / ATOK 402 / StS114 / G(II)488 / GC682 / GC(II)669 / G(3)761 / Lau858 God Has Chosen Me (Farrell) Energetic, and great words of justice. Can be rocky or smooth, however you like it. Sometimes it seems a bit long. Good for kids. Sound sample and lyrics.
- *ATOK 412 / Iona (SBL, Common Ground) / CH250 / MV212 / A&M482 / GtG747 / SFFS 2184 / Lau855 / StF239 Sent by the Lord am I / Sent out in Jesus name / Enviado soy de Dios (Traditional Cuban) Great rhythm, good words and not too hard to sing (provided you sing it a little slowly the first time!) I prefer the MV translation "Sent out in Jesus' name". Good for kids. Lyrics.
- *Iona (M&G, T1AU) / MV099 / GC(II)673 / G(3)763 / Lau996 Stand O Stand Firm (Cameroon) I love having an excuse to sing this simple and powerful song. Very easy for your congregation. You can make up cantor parts too “Oh my sisters…. Oh my brothers… Oh my children….” or you can name countries you are praying for in your intercessions. Good for kids. Scottish sound sample. Lead sheet.
- *AoV2-070 / ATW 496 / MV090 / StJ Don't be afraid (Bell) Excellent. I love this song of reassurance. "Don't be afraid, my love is stronger. My love is stronger than your fear". This song can be used as a response to intercessions. Good for kids. Sound sample.
- *TiS 674 / Iona (Common Ground, Heaven Shall Not Wait) / A&M562 / CH253 Inspired by love and anger (Bell) Powerful lyrics, simple English folk tune. Lyrics (search for "inspired"). I love verse three “Don’t query our position! Don’t criticise our wealth! Don’t mention those exploited by politics and stealth!”.
- *TiS 417 / AoV2-133 / ATW 448 / VU387 / StJ / WoV683 / ELW397 / AA94 / HPP237 / GtG293 / PH323 / CP657 / W&R135 / Cha244 / URW203 / StB220 Loving Spirit, Loving Spirit (Murray). There are about a zillion tunes set for this. I prefer FELICITY (by Colin Gibson TiS 417), but also like RESTORATION and OMNI DIE. Lyrics New words to old tunes
God our refuge, place of trust when we cause others discomfort; a psalm for those who are greying.
- *Tune in The God that I Know (Anderson) A beautiful ballad with female and male images of a loving, embracing God. Sound sample, sheet music sample and songbook here.
- BUC Song Project The Promise / Do not worry I am with you (Loukes) A gentle song of God holding us "you're not alone"... (BUC only so fa
- *Online Resource In You O Lord (Douglass) A gentle Psalm refrain or devotional chant. Sound sample.
- *ATOK 320 / NCH351 / VU645 / StJ / WoV770 / ELW732 /SFFS 2051 / GtG488 / HPP516 / W&R680 / Cha075 I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry (Ylvisaker) A song of God’s presence in all stages of life. Very simple tune to sing. This always makes me think of Center Church on-the-Green in New Haven, CT, where I first came across it. Lyrics, and a nice (slow) sound sample.
- *TiS 613 / AHB 546 / ATOK 405 / CH166 / LBW469 / ELW765 / A&M713 / SFFS2197 / HPP265 / GtG683 / GC578 / GC(II)560 / G(3)663 / CP506 / CP(E) 507 / W&R469 / URW179 / 82Hml-482 / Lau969 / StF526 / MP882 Lord of all hopefulness Lord of all joy (Struther) Excellent straightforward Irish tune (SLANE), and beautiful words. Would be a good choice for the final song. Oldy-but-a-goody.
- MV092 / SP&P099 Like a Rock (Wehlander / Good) A lovely simple song (with actions!) from Linnea Good. Great for kids
- CP517 / W&R503 O God your constant care and love (Lanier) Quite good words about God's presence with us through our lives. Sung to a standard hymn tune. Lyrics and tune sample.
- *ATAR669 Be my strength (Mann) Words about familiar comforting things, and about becoming older and more frail. Excellent.
- *CH570 / UMH512 / W&R495 / ZSS164 When the storms of life are raging (stand by me) (Tindley) A good gospel song. Hymnals have a range of translations. Great for kids. Sound sample and lyrics.
- VU789 / Cha738 A mighty fortress is our God (Response) (Luther) Responsive psalm with sung refrain of the first line of "A mighty fortress". If you don't have these books, I'm sure you could use your imagination to work out something similar. Oldy-but-a-goody.
- TiS 506 / AHB 430 / A&M424 / CP064 / CP(E) 281 / StF572 Author of life divine (Wesley) Good inclusive words and a simple traditional tune; mystery of communion and seeing God's face. There is also a more modern tune from Carlton Young available from GIA music. Lyrics and sound sample. Oldy-but-a-goody.
- *SP&P057 From the sacred waters of my birth (Grundy) A lovely simple chorus; particularly good if you have a baptism. Lyrics (downloads a PDF).
- *PfAS071B God my help and hiding place (Duck) A sad and beautiful song based on this Psalm. Imagine you are someone old singing this and it may give you some empathy for what they may be thinking. It's set to a lovely Japanese tune.
- *PfAS071A In you O Lord I put my trust (Walhout) Good inclusive lyrics to this hymn version of this Psalm, set to the well known tune WAREHAM. New words to old tunes
- G(3)150 My God my god come quickly to help me (French) A very simple Psalm refrain
- PfAS071C Since my mother's womb (Guimont) A nice simple Psalm refrain.
- *Emergent Psalter Don't cast me off in my old age (Everett) A simple, and quite powerful Psalm refrain; can be layered as a round. Sheet music (refrain only).
It doesn’t matter what our “results” are, it matters whether we do it with/for love. One day we will understand it all, but for now we only get it a bit
- BUC Song Project Love is the Power / Do you believe that God is good? (Anderson) Anthemic! (BUC only so far)
- BUC Song Project We are Love / All things are made in love (Anderson) This one's anthemic too, and breaks into 3 overlapping parts. (BUC only so far)
- *AoV2-063 / G(II)627 / GC873 Love is patient love is kind / In Love We Choose to Live (Cotter) Nice. Simple chorus. Gentle words based directly on this passage. Sound sample. Lead sheet.
- *VU604 / PH531 / G(II)441 / GC623 / GC(II)612 / G(3)709 / CP494 / W&R400 / SP135 / Lau919 Not for tongues of heaven's angels / May Love Be Ours (Dudley-Smith) Simple words based directly on the reading, and a nice lilting melody with a simple chorus which will probably be quite catchy. Sound sample. Lead sheet.
- *Recorded Music Love is the Law (Paul Kelly) A good and modern adaptation of this passage (Thanks Rachel!). Youtube. Lyrics.
- *Recorded Music Hymn to Love (Shane Howard) Another good adaptation of this passage. This is a little more gentle. "Without love, I'm really just wasting my time"... Sound sample and download.
- NCH496 Ekolu Mea Nui (Three greatest things) (Nawahine) Hawai'ian song. Will need to be taught, cannot be sung from the English translation. Perhaps your choir could learn it? Lovely Islander harmonies (thanks Clay!).
- *UMH408 / GtG693 / VU372 / HPP292 / PH335 / CP457 / W&R397 / Cha526 / URW141 Though I may speak with bravest fire / The Gift of Love (Hopson) A simple paraphrase of 1 Co 13, set to O WALY WALY. Easy for any congregation to pick up, I think. Lyrics and tune sample. New words to old tunes
- MV017 / FFS24 / Srce2-145 God in the darkness (Smith) Great words which would work well at the beginning of a service of worship. Set to a fairly simple hymn-like tune by Colin Gibson. Verse 1: "God in the darkness, God beyond our knowing, patient creator, seed in secret growing, rock of the living, water ever flowing, come and renew us"
- *AoV2-054 / Iona (T1AU, LFB) / MV077 / GtG414 / SFFS 2057 / G(II)438 / GC618 / RS 736 / SP&P111 / PfAS046D / URW409 / Lau909 / StF019 Be still and know that I am God (Bell / Maule) For kids, I think it may be better to focus on the positive for this reading, and this simple chant is beautiful. Works as a round or in unison. Good for kids.
- *TiS474 / AoV1-012 / ATAR595 / CH623 / SFFS 2236 / HPP553 / A&M363 / GtG401 / G(II)539 / GC839 / GC(II)743 / G(3)848 / CP465 / W&R649 / Cha284 / SP175 / URW054 / Lau475 Here in this place new light is streaming / Gather us in (Haugen). Excellent words, very well known. “Nourish us well and teach us to fashion lives that are holy and hearts that are true”. Lyrics, sheet music and sound samples.
- *TiS 693 / AoV1-031 / GA212 Come as you are that's how I want you (Browne) This song is beautiful, gentle, simple, and very well known. Lyrics (search for "come as you are"). Slow and mushy sound sample. A good song to start the service. Good for kids.
- *TiS 548 / VU629 / A&M014 / PH340 / CP(E) 415 / SP3 / W&R418 Eternal light shine in my heart I really love this beautiful inclusive and ancient prayer. It is not familiar, but would be beautiful sung by a soloist until your congregation grows to know it. It can also be sung to GONFALON ROYAL. New words to old tunes
- *TiS 242 / AHB 183 / AoV1-018 / ATN 27 / CH404 / UMH261 / VU352 / A&M667 / HPP163 / GtG157 / PH302 / G(II)481 / GC708 / GC(II)689 / G(3)796 / CP(E) 468 / W&R118 / Lau765 / StF247 I danced in the morning / Lord of the Dance (Carter / SIMPLE GIFTS). Lyrics and tune sample. You all know this one, right? Good for kids Oldy-but-a-goody.
- *AoVK-28 / ATOK 376 Faith hope and love (Watts) This is so easy, and so cool. If you have some groovy musicians, this can even be a very funky rock song. Very easy, and great for kids and non-readers. Good for kids
- *AoV2-086 If I speak in words of wisdom / Love Is The Greatest Gift Of All (Marshall) Good. One of the few songs based on this passage which is not exclusively a wedding song.
- *Taizé / CH801 / MV170 / StJ / GtG205 / WoV665 / ELW642 / SFFS 2179 / GC408 / GC(II)430 / G(3)500 / CP553 / W&R399 / Cha523 / URW394 / StF783 / Lau244b Live in charity / Ubi Caritas (Taizé) Usually sung in Latin, but can also be sung just as beautifully as "Live in charity and steadfast love, live in charity; God will dwell with you." Sheet music and sound samples for practice. Good for kids.
- FFS73 When I was a child (Murray) Tricky, but good words.
- Online Resource If we should speak in languages exotic (Faser) A new set of lyrics with the chorus "Love never
ends. It lasts beyond all language. Love never
ends. It lasts beyond all skill. With faith and hope
abiding through the ages, yet of these
three, love is the greatest still." Sung to the tune LONDONDERRY AIR. Lyrics.
- AA036 Every day I will offer you (Murray) “Every day in your spirit, I’ll find the love and energy”
No prophet listened to at home; Jesus gets a bit feisty here. See suggestions for Jeremiah, above.
- *ATOK 348 / Iona (HSNW) / G(II)496 / GC692 / GC(II)697 / StF462 Come with me / Sing hey for the carpenter (Iona) Excellent. I love this one. Very joyous, and a big favourite in our congregation. Lyrics. Good for kids.
- GtG162 O carpenter why leave the bench? (Leach) Good words questioning why someone would leave a practical vocation to follow God's call. Good question, eh? Tune is an old American tune, not familiar but very singable. Good on you William Billings for writing so many good tunes.